Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Hungry Student's Entrance

I finally got the initiative and drive to start this food blog. Actually, this is supposed to be my summer project but due to forgetfulness, I'm cramming it now. Well, not really cramming it. I've got a lot of time to improve.
School's just around the corner and that poses a lot of opportunities to seek out popular and Worthy Indulgences of food!

 

W.I.T. After I get to post a lot, you'll think that it's just another food blog. Not quite, because food blogs today are created by amateur cooks and pros. I'm a student of political science in the University of the Philippines. After trying to find any relation, you couldn't just find one. Why would someone who's so interested in the most intricate and all-encompassing social science (that's 15% bias from me) dabble in a food blog? Let me enumerate:

First, because I like to eat. I eat not for survival but for fun. To savor all kinds of cuisine, whether at home or in restaurants, is one of my long-term goals. Of course, I wouldn't be able to exhaust the world's rich collection of cuisine in a lifetime. Something tells me that I can taste at most 80% of them. That is, assuming I start now.

Second, because I cook. I did not enroll in any summer class this year because I was too lazy to go through the process (and because I think it's expensive) But I didn't settle to be a couch potato, either. So I tried my hand in cooking. Actually, I've helped in cooking before, but those were 'simple and basic' recipes. I cut up the ingredients and arranged them on the counter (the way they do it in morning food shows), my mom did the actual cooking. This time, I prepared menus and cooked the family's luncheons and suppers. I regularly visit my favorite blogs The Hungry Giant and Ang Sarap for food presentation inspirations + recipe reinventions. I also check Yummy.ph for toothsome recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Last, because I want to share. I want to be an advocate of cooking. especially for young and aspiring cooks. I believe that the youth should take baby steps towards independence and reliability. We could initiate this by learning how to cook for ourselves so that we could survive if we're alone. Also, with our parents tired from work, we could surprise them with a homemade meal to ease the stress. Actually, there are a lot of values that we could learn from cooking. I shall include them in future blog posts.

W.I.T includes the restaurants I have visited and the recipes I have cooked so far. True to its name, W.I.T will feature only the inexpensive but worth-it restaurants in the Metro, and the reinvented and budget-friendly recipes for the whole family.

What do you say?
Here on break, in the Metro.

No comments:

Post a Comment